Mission and Values
SETAC’s mission is to advance environmental science and management.
SETAC is dedicated to advancing environmental science and science-informed decision-making through collaboration, communication, education and leadership. We fulfill that purpose through events, publications, awards and education programs.
SETAC uses the slogan “Environmental Quality Through Science®” to convey its vision to its members, stakeholders and the public.
SETAC was built in 1979 upon a set of founding principles to which the society remains committed. SETAC's principles, as currently defined, are:
All SETAC members and guests are expected to adhere to the SETAC Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct. Further SETAC embraces a set of values to which all members and organizational entities of SETAC adhere:
- Transparency – SETAC is committed to being an open and transparent society
- Integrity – SETAC insists on personal and scientific integrity
- Diversity and Inclusion – SETAC strives for both scientific and individual diversity and inclusivity in all aspects of governance and programming. Diversity in sciences is inclusive of collaborative sciences sometimes referred to as multidisciplinary, interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary environmental science fields. Individual diversity includes diversity in cultures, races, religions, ethnicities, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender expressions, gender identities, marital statuses, political affiliations, visible and unseen disabilities, expertise and career level, and affiliation sectors (multi-sectoral).
- Equity – SETAC promotes impartiality and fair-mindedness within procedures and processes
- Sustainability – SETAC embraces sustainability in all of its activities
- Cooperation and dialogue – SETAC transparency extends into open science with a goal of stimulating knowledge sharing through cooperation and dialogue