2015 HHRA AG Annual Report
2014 HHRA AG Annual Report
Welcome to the SETAC Human Health Risk Assessment Advisory Group (HHRA AG)!
Participation in HHRA AG is open to all interested parties.Members within the HHRA AG come from various backgrounds including: academic, consultancy, industry, regulatory.
SETAC members can become a member of the AG by expressing their interest in their SETAC profile.
Non-SETAC members can contact the SETAC office in Pensacola (FL) at +1-850-469-1500 to request access to the HHRA AG site.
SETAC believes that there is a fundamental role that our society should play in the study of the monitoring and effects of incidental or accidental exposures of organisms, including human beings, to toxins and environmental chemicals in the environment (e.g., air, water, soil and food). Therefore, SETAC is supporting the advancement of the study of HHRA through the development of unique advisory groups like the HHRA AG, and by placing a greater focus on developing technical sessions at our annual meetings that fill a much needed niche at the interface between environmental exposures and human health risk assessment.
The scope of the SETAC HHRA AG includes any interactions between human activities and environmental exposures. Industrial pollutants and other emerging contaminants are included. Scientific coverage of the environmental contaminants includes all fields pertinent to conducting effective environmental risk assessments for human health impacts such as transport, fate, exposure, effect and impact analysis. All environmental compartments, such as aquatic, terrestrial, air and biomass are included.
Mission and Purpose
The HHRA AG exists to serve as a scientific resource to all stakeholders impacted by the topic of human health exposures and risk related to contaminants in the environment, and fulfills the following mission and purpose:
- Serve as a focal point within SETAC as a means of involving the membership in research and discussions
- Stimulate critical assessment in order to establish the best available science
- Encourage the worldwide incorporation of the best available science and strategic approaches
- Advance the overall understanding of the fate, effects, and potential health consequences of environmental contaminants
- Provide scientific support to ensure effective regulatory decision making
- Provide a neutral platform and focal point for collaborative identification, evaluation and resolution of scientific issues
The SETAC HHRA AG periodically draws on the expertise of its members to comment on regulatory issues through ad hoc groups.
In April 2011, the SETAC HHRA AG participated in preparing comments on two issues that had been submitted for consideration as emerging policy issues to the Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM) International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM) at its third session (2012).
- Comments (.pdf file) on "International Cooperation to Build Awareness and Understanding and Promote Actions on Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals”
- Comments (.pdf file) on "Environmental Persistent Pharmaceutical Pollutants”
HHRA AG Conference Calls
The HHRA AG hold monthly conference calls. Please contact the chair person or the secretary for further information.
HHRA Meeting at SETAC Conferences
The HHRA AG typically holds two formal meetings per year at the SETAC North America Annual Meeting and the SETAC Europe Annual Meeting.
Informal networking socials are also sometimes held during those meetings. Please contact the chair person or the secretary for further information.
HHRA AG Sponsored Sessions
The HHRA AG sponsors sessions at North America SETAC Annual meeting. The HHRA AG also sponsors session together with other societies (e.g., SOT). Please contact the chair or the secretary for further information regarding HHRA AG sponsored sessions.