Sponsored by The International Copper
SETAC / ICA Chris Lee Award for Metals Research, sponsored by The International
Copper Association and initiated by the Society to recognize the leadership and
technical contributions by the late Dr. Chris Lee, provides up to $5,000 to a
graduate student or recent graduate who has focused on research related to the
fate and/or effects of metals in the environment. A key consideration for this
award is that the recipient will continue research on metals-related
environmental issues and funding will be provided by ICA toward the recipient's
- Maikel Rosabal Rodriguez, 2017
- Tamzin A. Blewett, 2016
- Anne Cremazy, 2015
- Yamini Gopalapillai, 2014
- Monica D. Poteat, 2013
- Kevin Brix, 2012
- Justin Conley, 2011
- Nilima Gandhi, 2010
- Wai Man Kwong, 2009
- Tham Chung Hoang, 2008
- Martin Tsui, 2007
- Ian Oliver, 2006
- Lisa D. Kraemer, 2005
- Eric Pane, 2004
- Karel de Schamphelaere, 2003
Eligibility (per the desires of the sponsor):
- Must be a graduate student or recent graduate (less
than 2 years since studies) who is expected to continue research in
metals-related environmental fate and/or effects issues
- Must have published in a peer-reviewed journal on
metals-related subject within two years prior to the award date (prior to
1 August of the year the award being made at each North America Annual
- By members of the technical committee of ICA who have
reviewed the literature
- By SETAC members who are aware of graduate students or
recent graduates who have published in the prior two years and who are
continuing work on metals-related issues
- By candidates themselves who are graduate or recent
graduate students who feel they meet the criteria.
application package containing, in order, the following materials must be
submitted electronically to Rebecca Bundschuh at the SETAC Office. The application package must contain all of the requested
material to be considered for the Award.
- Cover page containing the title of the Award, name and
mailing address, telephone number, fax number and email address of the
- A curriculum vitae (4 pages maximum)
- A letter describing research and future plans
- A copy of relevant publications described in letter
- One high-resolution photo
- A one-page biography
- Complete application packages must be received on or before 1 June 2018.
Candidates should support their evaluation package with letters from any or
all of their major professors, graduate committee members, and research
associates who are familiar with both their work performance and the
nature of their research.
- Copies of any article, paper, or manuscript prepared
under the Award are required from the recipient. These should be sent
electronically or by mail to the SETAC Office. Publications resulting from
work under the Award should bear the following statement:
research was made possible [in part] by the ICA Chris Lee Award for Metals
Research and the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC). Its
contents are solely the responsibility of the author(s) and do not necessarily
represent the official views of the ICA or SETAC."
- Progress and financial reports will be due annually.
- Applicants must be SETAC members in good standing.
SETAC Awards and Fellowships Subcommittee for Research Awards will evaluate all
proposals by using a standardized score sheet. Candidates who do not speak
English as a native language may benefit from pre-submission review for grammar
and content. (SETAC will not be responsible for pre-submission review.)
Announcement of the award will be made at the SETAC North America 39th Annual Meeting in Sacramento, CA, 4-8 November 2018.
applications must be submitted electronically to Rebecca Bundschuh.
Applications submitted by MAIL or FAX will NOT be accepted. Completed
application must arrive by 1 June 2018.