Exchange Opportunity (STEO)
The SETAC Student Activities Council (SAC) in North America has established a "Student Training Exchange Opportunity (STEO)" to support SETAC student members in North America. This award is intended to provide students an opportunity to gain experience from universities (other than the student’s home institution), business, and government agencies that will support student advancement and training. The fund will provide up to $1000 to students who need monetary support. This support fund is provided by monies raised from the annual Silent Auction (started in 2000) to help defray costs associated with internship travel and lodging, equipment, or supplies needed to complete research objectives.
Eligibility and Limitations
Applicant must be a SETAC member in good standing who is enrolled in a North American (Canada, U.S., or Mexico) accredited college or university and is in his/her first year of a master's degree program or in his/her first-fourth years in a doctorate program. Students can be in any field of study encompassed by SETAC (e.g., environmental toxicology, chemistry, environmental policy, and/or environmental economics).
Monetary support equal to or greater than the Training Exchange Award (matching support) must be provided by the student's institution, advisor, or other sources. A maximum of one award will be given to any one person.
To apply, the following materials must be submitted by email to the Pensacola Office no later than March 6, 2015. Failure to meet the deadline or to follow instructions invalidates the application. The STEO application packet must contain all the materials requested to be considered for this award. Be sure to follow directions and assemble the award package as outlined below. Length of each item must not exceed the length guidelines given below.
- Cover page containing title of proposed project for funding, student name, address, phone, and email contacts of applicant (one page)
- A statement of research interest in your field of study, including a statement containing the amount and proposed use of requested funding , along with a statement of educational/professional goals and accomplishments by the applicant, and brief statement of how these goals and accomplishments coincide with the mission of SETAC (maximum of two pages).
- Supplemental financial support (from other sources) for completing your research objectives (maximum of two pages)
- A letter of support from the institution/agency where the training will occur.
- A letter of endorsement by the applicant's faculty advisor (one page).
- Curriculum vitae (résumé) of the applicant (one page).
Number of Awards and Evaluation Procedure
The number of STEO awards is limited by available funds, with one or two opportunities awarded each year. Members of the SAC will evaluate each application and rank all applications based on the following criteria:
- Completeness and timeliness of the application package
- Originality and scientific merit of the project
- Demonstrated financial need and additional sources of support
- Quality of educational/professional goals and accomplishments in relation to the background of the applicant; and organization and presentation of the applicant's statement of goals and accomplishments, and research interests.
Because the number of highly meritorious applicants may exceed the available funds, selection will be made with the objectives of maintaining educational, discipline, and geographic-based distribution. Students may be awarded one award during their advanced degree program.
Requirements for STEO Recipients:
A one-page report detailing the results of the exchange must be submitted to the Pensacola Office AND firstname.lastname@example.org by the student no later than three months after completing their exchange.
ALL applications must be submitted electronically to Laura Swanson AND Tisha King-Heiden (STEO Subcommittee Co-Chair). Applications submitted by MAIL or FAX will NOT be accepted. The proposal and accompanying materials must arrive by 6 March 2015. Failure to meet the deadline or to follow instructions will invalidate the application. Email applications to Student Training Exchange Award, email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org